Creating Email Templates
You can insert merge codes into your Email to pull field values from CRM modules and insert them into your message. You don’t have to utilise this feature, but we’ll show you how to do it and you can skip this step if it’s not applicable.
Create a Template
- Navigate to Email Templates.
- Click on New Email Template in the top right corner.
- You can also view and manage all of your Email Templates from this page.
The following form will open, allowing you to customise your template:
- Template Name – enter a specific name that will make it easy to find and use this particular template in future e.g. Reminder SMS for accounts overdue by more than 30 days.
- Description – you can add more details in this field so other users understand where and when they should use this template.
- Source Name – this is the module in CRM where you would like to use the template. In this case, you have numerous options, so we’re going to use a Contact in the example.
- Gear icon (next to Source Name) – clicking this will open up a new tab with merge fields you can copy into your message body to insert data from the CRM module directly into your message e.g. you can add the FirstName field code to personalise the message. There’s a more detailed example of how to do this below.
- Gear icon (next to Sender) – clicking this will open up a new tab with merge fields you can copy into your message body to insert data from the CRM module directly into your message e.g. you can add the Message Sender Name and Message Sender Position field codes to personalise the message with details about the sender. There’s a more detailed example of how to do this below.
- Subject – enter a subject.
- Is Active – as we are creating a new Template, tick this box. If you wanted to deactivate the Template in future, you would untick the box.
- Letters – you can also attach a Letter Template your email by either selecting a previously made Template from the Letters drop-down list or uploading a new one with the Upload file button.
- Body – enter your message text here.
- Click on Save & Close at the top of the form.
Add merge data to your Email body
- Clicking on the gear icon (shown in red below) next to the Source Name field when setting up your Email template will open a new tab with merge codes for the CRM module you are attaching the Template to e.g. Contacts.
- Clicking on the 2nd gear icon (shown in orange below) next to the Sender field will open a new tab with merge codes for the CRM user who is sending the email i.e. the Message Sender.
- You can copy these codes into your message body and automatically insert data from the CRM Contact module or the CRM User record for the person sending the email (i.e. the Message Sender) – the example below shows adding the Contact FirstName field to the email so that message will display the field value when it is sent to the customer e.g. ‘Dear Bill’.
- Merge fields have also been added to the example below to add the name and position title of the Message Sender (the User sending the email) e.g. ‘Bob Smith, Marketing Manager’.