- Getting Started
- Managing Duplicate Records
- Basic Navigation
- Key setup steps
- Additional setup steps
- Configuring Dropdown Lists
- Creating New Records
- Tips & Tricks
- Using the Kanban View
- Using the Map View
- Advanced Filters
- Setting Up Grid Layouts
- Show and Hide Columns
- Open or Edit Existing Records
- Syncing Your Accounting System
- Setting up your CSV file for Import
- View Details on Map Pins
- Change the Column order
- Company Information
- Filter Map Records
- Sorting Records
- Import Data from Excel or CSV
- Colourise Map Records
- Filtering Records
- Set Up Security Groups
- Invite Other Users
- Connect Outlook
- Connect to Mailchimp or Campaign Monitor
- Set up your Sales Pipeline
- Set Up Other Reference Data
- Configure Online Quoting
- View Reports and Dashboards
- Connect Burst SMS
- Viewing Tags
- Adding and Editing Tags
- Sorting and Filtering with Tags
- CRM Integrations
- Connecting Stripe
- Connecting with Shopify
- Novum Networks
- Payment Gateways
- Google Maps
- Customer Portal
- Connecting with BurstSMS
- Connecting with Campaign Monitor
- Connecting with eWay
- Connecting with Ezidebit
- Connecting with Machship
- WooCommerce integration settings
- Connecting with Mailchimp
- Setting Up SMTP Email
- Connecting with WooCommerce
- Customer Portal for customers
- Installing Inbox Insights
- Syncing Your Outlook Emails, Calendar & Contacts
- Troubleshooting the Outlook Add-In
- WooCommerce integration
- Setting Up Emails
- SMTP for Gmail
- Jobs, Assets & Service Management
- Products, Inventory & Pricing
- Sales Pipeline
- Shipping & Freight
- System Settings
- Workflow Management
- Quoting & Selling
The key to successfully importing data into Tall Emu is to set up your input file correctly. The below guidelines will help make this process easy. You should also refer to our dedicated guide on how to import data into CRM.
If you’re using an Excel spreadsheet, the first step will be to convert this into a CSV format. This can be achieved by:
File -> Save As -> Format/Type = CSV (comma delimited).
The first row of the file must be a header row that defines the columns in the data sheet. This will be the column that lets Tall Emu match your data to the fields in our system. Our import system will automatically map header row values that it recognises – e.g. First Name, Last Name, Company Name, Part Number, Mobile, Email, Phone etc.
If you need any assistance with this process, please send us an email at [email protected].
Please ensure that you pay attention to the following
Imports will be unsuccessful if certain data conditions are not met, as follows:
- All columns must have a header (no blank cells in the header row). Download our import templates to avoid this happening (see below for how to do this).
- There are NO duplicate header names (e.g. use ‘Physical Address’ and ‘Postal Address’ rather than two columns with the header ‘Address’). Be sure to also split any address fields into their respective components rather than one singular address.
- Avoid using special characters (in particular commas and apostrophes).
- Ensure that any prices do not have a ‘$’ symbol in the cell – the values need to be numeric only.
- Ensure that if you are importing values to populate dropdown lists, the values already exist in CRM already. If the values are not already present, you can add them to certain fields from Admin > Settings – please see this guide for more information on how to customise dropdown field values.
- Ensure any contact name fields are separated into ‘First Name’ and ‘Last Name’ rather than simply ‘Name’.
- Ensure you have minimum values present to create a new record e.g. if you do not have a ‘First Name’ you will not be able to create a new Contact, if you do not have a ‘Company Name’ you will not be able to create a new Company, if you do not have an Opportunity ‘Name’ you will not be able to create a new Opportunity etc.
- Ensure that fields adhere to their field type:
- Yes/No (Boolean) fields: should be coded with only 1 or 0 values where 1 = YES and 0 = NO or 1 = TRUE and 0 = FALSE or 1 = ACTIVE and 0 = INACTIVE.
- Date fields: should be converted into a format that is NOT country specific (g. 31-March-2020).
Please ensure you only upload data within the correct screen. For example, if you have company and contact data in one CSV file please split the data and import it in the respective modules of Tall Emu. The modules which allow for CSV data import are:
Download an import template from CRM
If you need guidance on upload format, we offer CSV templates that you can use to organise your data. These can be found by clicking the small Excel icon in the top right and then selecting Download Import Template from the area that you want to import data into.